Have you ever entertained the idea of trekking across the open forest. Having the pine trees whizz by you as man and animal alike eat dirt behind you?
If you want to get away from the rat race and be at one with nature and machine. Then dirt biking might just be the sport for you.
However, you might have already checked out a few bikes on the internet and been immediately depressed by the price tag.
Some of these bikes certainly have an extortionate price tag, but luckily there are plenty of models that are still very cheap.
If you are buying a dirt bike for a young child, then the first thing you’ll definitely not want to cut back on is safety.
The speeds that these bikes can achieve are amazing and terrifying. So you’ll want to make sure that your bike is made from solid stuff.
You’ll want to check out the stability of your bike, first and foremost.
The suspension will be crucial for helping you to withstand some of the shocks and buffeting of the great outdoors.
This way you can be sure that your bike will remain in one piece. Which will contribute to the overall lifespan of the bike itself.
So where can you find the best dirt bike for less than $1000? What features does a cheap dirt bike need to have to give you the optimum levels of safety?
Well, if you want the answer to all these dirt biking questions and more. Then we would suggest that you keep reading.
We have compiled a list of the 12 best dirt bikes that you can currently find on the market.
We also have a buyer’s guide that will help you to determine what the best bikes are for your budget.
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
This first bike comes with an amazing 125 cc engine, which is frankly fantastic for zipping through even the roughest of terrain.
This is a great starter bike, coming with a decent ground clearance that will ensure that you’ll keep your engine free from damages.
This comes with a cradle-style steel frame that is great for bigger jumpers - introducing the X-PRO 125cc Dirt Bike.
This bike is very easy to use and assemble, giving you everything that you need for quick setup, so you can be on the road within minutes.
This comes with wheels, handlebars brakes, a plate number and a fender. This will give you plenty of ground clearance, making it a great bike for beginner and intermediate riders.
- This bike is great for adults and young teenage riders. You can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need for a smooth and decent ride.
- This comes with an easy assembly kit, so you won’t have to worry about your bike breaking after landing on any hard surfaces.
- This bike comes with a very solid suspension. Again, this will increase the overall lifespan of your bike overall.
- This has large wheels on the front and bike, which will give you extra stability and keep you on the dirt path for a lot longer.
- The bike chain of this model does require some continual maintenance. Which might be an issue if you are in the middle of negotiating a tough trail.
Next up, we have a bike with 4 strokes and a single cylinder. Which will definitely help you when you are riding roughshod over some tricky terrain and you want to maintain your speed.
The design of this bike is neat, compact and easy to store in your garage when you are not using it. Introducing the Apollo DB-X18 125cc Dirt Bike.
This has 17-inch tires on the back and 14-inch tires on the front. Which means that you have slightly more maneuverability when you are riding through slippery mud or snowy conditions.
We would recommend that you get a dirt bike like this if you have never ridden before, as it will give you plenty of purchase.
- This bike has a very smooth kick start, allowing you to be able to get the engine revving within just a few minutes.
- This bike is very nimble, which makes it more adaptive to narrower tree negotiation. If you want the challenge of snaking your bike between the crags and gaps, then we would suggest that you get this model.
- This bike comes with a single-cylinder, which makes it one of the most sustainable and environmentally friendly bikes that you can find.
- This bike has an air cooling engine, so you won’t have to run into any problems with overheating.
- This bike does require some maintenance, especially if you are taking it out on the trail more than a few times a week.
This bike comes with a hydraulic brake that will enable you to make those dead stops easily and efficiently.
This also has a high-torque, rear-wheel chain that you can use to control the skidding of your bike.
This is definitely one for the intermediate rider - introducing the Razor Dirt Rocket Electric Motocross Off-Road Bike.
This bike comes in two different sizes. The medium which are MX350 in blue at $399.99 and the MX650 in yellow at $779.99. The small which are SX350 in green at $409.99 and the SX500, also in green at $709.99.
This has riser handlebars, which makes it easy to adapt for whatever height that you happen to be.
This versatility makes it a great rider for young children and teenagers who are new to the world of dirt biking.
It also has large 12-inch wheels that you can use to give you great ground clearance.
- You can achieve impressive speeds with this motorbike very quickly, all you have to do is crank the throttle and let rip.
- You can adjust the angle on these handlebars, giving you the ability to be able to modify the bike for your particular height. This is perfect for young people who are growing as they are riding.
- This has a retractable kickstand, which means that you’ll be able to prop your bike up when it is not in use in the great outdoors.
- This has a front and rear brake, both of which will give you that amazing control, even during slippery mud situations.
- This one has a very tricky manual, which might be hard to understand for first-time users. We would recommend that you look at some Youtube videos on how to work this bike.
This next bike has a 4 stroke engine with a 55 mph maximum speed capacity.
It will not mix any fuels or fluids, meaning that you won’t have to worry about your engine cutting out after a while on the dirt path.
This comes with plenty of side mirrors that will enable you to cover as much space behind you as possible. Introducing the X-PRO Hawk 150cc Adults Dirt Bike.
You can adjust the rear monoshock on the back to give you a much smoother ride. This has large 9-inch and 6-inch tires on the front and back respectively.
This will allow you to ride for longer and harder without getting too saddle sore. You can really crank this bike up to the very limits.
- This is a heavy-duty bike that is really great for use with all levels of rider, whether you are a beginner, intermediate or professional rider.
- This has comfortable shock absorption in the rear seat, allowing you to ride harder and faster for a longer period of time.
- This bike comes with a kickstand, allowing you to be able to keep your bike upright and avoid any scratches and harmful nicks.
- This bike comes with a pump-action brake that you can be sure will stop you dead in your tracks after a long ride.
- The front axle bolt of this bike might come loose after a few weeks of use. This might cause you to check it repeatedly after a few weeks.
This next dirt bike is one of the best for beginners. It has a very decent power output, along with good control and brakes in the front and rear wheels.
This bike has really great balance, allowing you to maintain your trajectory. Which can often be hard when you are riding over rough terrain - introducing the DB-X 4 110cc Dirt Bike.
This has a 4-speed semi-automatic that is very easy to use, especially when you are going over slightly bumpy terrain.
If you are a beginner rider, we would suggest that you won’t go too challenging on your first few rides.
You need to get used to relatively smooth terrain, as well as slight bumps in the road.
- This has great control and speed, allowing you to navigate through the tricky terrain that is often associated with dirt biking.
- This comes with a 4-speed semi-automatic that is very easy to use.
- The steering on this bike is also fantastic, allowing you to meander through the trees smoothly.
- The tires are 21-inches wide, giving you wonderful ground clearance and allowing you to ride fast and heavy through sand, woodland and even snow.
- This can handle heavier riders, as well as excess baggage. You can be sure that if you are going camping, then you’ll be able to strap some of the basics to the back of this bike.
- This bike does not have that much of a durable construction as some of the other bikes on this list. This means that the bike might require more maintenance than other bikes.
This bike is another one that can really bear a heavy load, you can pack upwards of 175 pounds on top of this bike.
This is made from high-quality materials, so you can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need for a long-distance ride. With incredible comfort and stability - introducing the Razor Dirt Rocket SX500 McGrath Electric Motocross Bike. This electric bike costs $710.
This bike has amazing torque, meaning that you can navigate it across many different areas of the country.
This will give you optimal control and allow you to navigate through the treacherous terrain of the woods and forest where you can often find dirt bikes.
This bike comes made with a steel frame, which will only add to its durability.
- This is one of the more affordable dirt bikes on this list. This will make it very appealing to a family that might need more than one bike for a younger person.
- This does not mean that it skimps on the quality of the build material. This bike is made from solid steel, so you can be sure that you’ll be able to navigate across vast distances without damaging the bike.
- This bike is very stable and will glide very smoothly across various different types of terrain. This is also owing to the thickness of the tires.
- This bike has plenty of amazing ground clearance, which will help you when you are riding through hilly terrain. Having at least a few feet off the ground is important for any hard-riding dirt bike.
- This bike might be seen as being slightly small for adults. If you are a taller rider, you might want to consider one of the other models, as you won’t be able to adjust the steering wheel with this bike.
This next bike is one that is perfect for younger children, with a smaller frame that is easier to mount on the vehicle of your car. Also really good for storing when it is not in use.
This one comes with wide ground clearance and a wonderful hydraulic suspension. Allowing you to navigate some of the hardest terrains - introducing the Taotao DB17 125cc Dirt Bike for Kids.
This bike comes with a kickstand, allowing you to keep your bike nice and steady when you are not riding it.
This bike will not suffer some of the scuffs and damages of some other dirt bikes. It has plenty of protective shields that will keep the muck from gumming up in the wheels.
- This bike has one of the best suspension systems for young children that you can find on the market. You can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need for a safe trip for you and your children.
- This bike will give you everything that you need for a very smooth ride, with thick tires and decent ground clearance.
- This is one of the best starting bikes, allowing you the chance to get to grips with the steering, as well as the suspension and how you will have to adapt your riding for the severe bumps that you might suffer.
- This has an authentic frame that you can be sure will be able to withstand some of the worst excesses of the dirt trail that you can imagine.
- This is another very small and compact bike, meaning that it will be easier to store, but it might not work so well for older users.
This next bike is one that is great to ride for both beginners and professionals. Giving you everything that you need for a very solid ride from start to finish.
This comes with a 4 stroke engine, which will increase the resale value of your dirt bike. Introducing the Taotao DB10 110cc Dirt Bike.
- This gives you great motor power, allowing you to burn through most terrain in a much faster time. Which will definitely come in handy if you are riding in a competition.
- This bike is very easy to handle, which makes it ideal for anyone who is getting to grips with the art of dirt biking.
- This is not that compatible with terrain that is slightly more uneven, such as uphill dirt biking.
This next dirt is amazing in terms of ride quality and comfort, coming with a rechargeable battery and excellent torque capabilities. Introducing the Razor MX650 Adult & Tenn Dirt Rocket Ride which costs $780.
- This bike is extremely durable and very easy to use, giving you the ability to be able to maneuver directly across most types of terrain.
- This has an adjustable handlebar system, making it great for you to modify for taller users.
- Despite having a rechargeable battery, this can be very difficult to actually recharge and the amount of time that it stays charged is not that great either.
This next bike has a fantastic grip and is very easy to steer through the woodland wilderness.
This has full throttle control that will allow you to stay steady on most paths - introducing the X-Pro Hawk 150cc Adults Dirt Bike.
- This bike gives you premiere comfort and adjustability. Making it a great bike for riders who might have difficulty finding a bike that fits their unique body shape.
- When it comes to getting to grips with some of the basics of bike riding. Then comfort and durability are some of the most important things that you can have. Luckily this bike provides both in spades.
- This bike is not the latest model on the market, which might make it a little outdated, which is a disadvantage. Especially if you are racing in competitions.
This bike is made from high-quality and durable material. Meaning that you won’t have to swap your bike out within the first year of using it.
This bike is small and compact enough to tow on the top of your vehicle, making it great for cross-country bikers. Introducing the Razor MX500 Dirt Rocket which has the price of $700.
- This bike has quality suspension, meaning that your bike will last for a long time when you are out on the trail.
- Made from solid materials, which will increase the longevity of your bike, even if you are taking it out regularly on the rough terrain.
- The tires on this bike do not have the greatest grips, so you might find yourself shelling out money on additional tires.
This final bike is one that is made by the excellent Razor brand. It has high-torque, chain-driven bike that can achieve speeds of upward of 14 mph.
This street bike can be adapted to all sorts of surfaces. It includes tarmac, soil and grass - introducing the Razor RSF350 Electric Street Bike. This electric bike has price of $500.
- This bike comes with a rechargeable battery that is 24 volts and will give you everything that you need for great stopping power.
- This electric bike can be recharged very quickly and easily. This will definitely help out anyone who is new to the noble art of dirt biking.
- This bike might be a little too near the $1000 price tag for some people who might be wanting to pinch as many as they can.
- Choosing Your Kawasaki Street Legal Dirt Bike - March 14, 2023
- Honda Street Legal Dirt Bike: Dual Sport and Enduro Guide - March 9, 2023
- KTM Street Legal Dirt Bike: Enduro and Supermoto Models - March 9, 2023